Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Eat Your Greens

Well, I can't believe it, but my chicks (except Banzai) are 2 weeks old today.  They've grown so much and put on so many new feathers that it's hard to recognize some of them.  Of course, I spend so much time staring at them that I've gotten used to their new looks, but these definitely aren't the teeny chickies that I got!

I think the most amazing part of their growing up is that they're now eating the greens that I pick for them.  Henbit, chickweed . . .they love it all.  Heck, even the big messy broilers are starting to eat their greens when they can get motivated off their fat butts to find the pile. 

I even found one of the broilers IN THE FEEDER this morning.  It's meant to be a hanging feeder.  It has an open top.  So here's this bird just laying there amidst all the food.  I'm pretty sure it was upset when I took it out.  I just hope it didn't tell all the others how to get more feed.  Gack.

It's tractor time for the broilers.  Scott has one in the works.  Little does he know that he'd better just build 3 at a time.  If it stays warm and dry, the little chicks will go out into a pen in the next few days (of course, back into the brooder at night).

I'm still not quite sure what to do with Banzai.  Should I try to reintroduce her when the other eggs hatch?  Or should I keep her separate as a pet?  She already knows that a hand coming into her box means snuggle time.  She doesn't even flinch, whereas the other chicks still run from a hovering hand (and yes, I handle them daily).  I'd rather not learn the hard way about a hen not accepting a chick . . .but this IS Beautiful Sweet we're talking about.  I think she'd mother a horse if she could. 

So, the jury's still out on that one.  In the meantime, EAT YOUR GREENS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment